Stalked?

About a month ago an article came out about online stalking and I was the subject (the stalkee, if you will). Essentially the author collected everything she could find out about me on the public web and presented me with my dossier over a cup of coffee in Soho.

The publication, Assembly Journal, asked me if I’d like to respond and I took them up on it. The reply, which they gave the title STALKED? NOT REALLY: NOAH BRIER RESPONDS basically presents my position, which shouldn’t come as a great shock, that the value of making this information public outweighs the dangers and that most, if not all, of the information she uncovered would have been available before the web (although much more difficult to collect).

For what it’s worth, I’m especially fond of my conclusion, which I really owe thanks to my brother-in-law (who also happens to be a lawyer) for helping me articulate: “At the end of the day a breach of privacy requires some reasonable expectation that something would be kept private. Not only did I not have that expectation, but for much of the information I put on the web I hope for exactly the opposite.”

Anyway, hope you enjoy. (Oh, and sorry for the lack of posts around here. Am working on a new project that I hope to launch in the next few weeks. It’s taken up most of my blogging time.)

July 30, 2010

Comments

• Danielle says:

I completely agree. I view the world wide web as a way for me to present myself to the masses and “control” the information that is being released. After all, aren’t I an expert on myself?

Although, I can imagine all of my happenings laid out in one coffee chat could be a bit embarrassing!

• barbara says:

Good answer, babe, elucidating but refreshingly succinct:)

• Allan says:

Great point Noah and totally reasonable from a legal perspective.

Unfortunately, many late adopters don’t understand the expectations and assume that most of what they put online is private. I think it would be a huge culture shock had the experiment occurred with someone less savvy as yourself.

• Rob Day says:

Thanks for a great and logical post on this subject. I have long said that people who are surprised by the lack of privacy on the internet are the same people who sue McDonalds for making them obese after 30 years of Big Macs.

• Alina Popescu says:

Someone tweeted your article on Assembly and that’s how I got here. I loved the article, as it reminded me some of the reason I like spending most of my life online, of the wonderful people I’ve met and the opportunities my online presence and information sharing have helped create.

I’m glad I found that article and that I arrived here. Nice to meet you, Noah!

• Stalked Redux | Noah Brier dot Com says:

[…] few years ago I had a story written about me. The premise was a journalist went and did a bunch of research about me and then approached me with […]