Last night I had burritos with Amit Gupta. One of the topics of conversation turned to domain names we’d purchased and never done anything with. I’m not sure if everyone does this, but both Amit and I have a tendency to buy domains for projects and then not necessarily see it through. All in all I own 29 domains at the moment. Of those about 10 are actually functioning.
Anyway, Amit suggested it might be fun to start a meme of sorts asking everyone to list out their unused domains. I’m going to get it started and if you wouldn’t mind writing it on your site and then leaving a comment with a link that would be great. It’ll be fun to hear some of the crazy ideas people had.
- backinthehabit.com: Not sure why I bought this other than I thought it was funny. Maybe one day I’ll put up a Sister Act 2 fan page.
- endorsemint.com: This was part of an idea to create some kind of system that would help YouTube and Myspace stars find endorsement deals . . . never went anywhere.
- ganggreenblog.com: This is actually built and ready to go, it was going to be a Jets blog similar to Da Bears Blog. Similar to the Jets, it didn’t really go anywhere.
- iamwhiteboard.com: Around the office we’ve got a whiteboard and for a while a new picture went up every day. The idea was to have a site documenting all this . . . we did it for one day.
- mommywhenwilligetmyfur.com: This is a pretty strange one, but a funny story. At one of this year’s fantasy football drafts, Jason told us all about what Rosie O’Donnell had said on an episode of the view. Apparently in response to another host saying she bathed her daughter wearing a bathing suit, Rosie responded that she always bathed with her daughter nude. She went on to say the last time they were in the tub her daughter asked her “mommy, when will I get my fur?” Needless to say this became the joke of the draft and eventually mommywhenwilligetmyfur.com became the prize to the winner.
- thejobfilter.com: This was another halfway-completed project. The basic premise is that I hear about a lot of talented people looking for jobs and a lot of companies looking to hire. This was going to be a place to connect the two . . .
- wearespacemonkeys.com: A kind of inside joke with Loren from 1938 Media.
Anyway, that’s it. So now it’s your turn, what’s in your domain name graveyard?